15 Nov 2008

What being British really means

I just came across this article - researchers asked 5000 Brits to name characteristics that in their eyes are typical of this nation, and then came up with a list of 30 traits. 

Nothing much to say about it; I just found it rather amusing. It's very spot on too - if you want to know how much truth there is to stereotypes look no further, because any foreigner you ask to describe the British would in all likelihood come up with pretty much the exact same list.
Here it is, the article itself is not really worth reading:

1. Talking about the weather
2. Queueing
3. Sarcasm
4. Watching soaps
5. Getting drunk
6. A love of bargains
7. Curtain twitching
8. A stiff upper lid
9. Love of all television
10. Moaning
11. Obsession with class
12. Gossiping
13. Traffic obsession
14. Enjoying other people's misfortunes
15. Never complaining
16. Cheap holidays
17. Working long hours
18. A soothing cuppa
19. Meat and two veg
20. Bad dancing
21. Uncomfortable talking about emotions
22. Clever sense of humour
23. Obsession with property values
24. Pandering to political correctness
25. Road rage
26. Weight worries
27. Wanting a good tan
28. Being proud of where we live
29. Not saying what we mean
30.The ability to laugh at ourselves


I'm guilty of at least 19 of those... now does that mean that I'm more British than I thought I was or is it a rather universal list anyway? I can think of at least one person who enjoys a soothing cuppa more than I do, and who's not complaining about their weight these days?

3 comments:

R said...

"never complaining"? y'think?
Who doesn't love bargains anyway? Asians know more about bargaining than Brits anyway. I don't think it's particularly accurate. Some bits are stereotypically female and some stereotypically male.

a traveller said...

I relate to 30 of those... whazzat mean?!

The Seeker said...

That'd really make me think :D