27 Feb 2009

Life 2.0

In some ways, online life - or even just MS Word - is superior to real life. There are so many things possible on a computer that don’t exist in real life – but I wish they would.  Here are my Top 5.

5. First of all, there are screenshots – more than once I’ve wanted to take a screenshot of something I was looking at. I felt rather silly for obvious reasons, but then someone on bash.org encountered the same problem, so while I may not be in the most desirable of companies, at least I'm not the only one. It's this far down on the list because while they're a lot faster and you would be able to use them anywhere at any time, we still have something very similar - it's called a camera.

4.  Then there’s Undo. I don’t tend to regret things, what’s done is done and I’ll just have to deal with it, but once in a while an undo function would be nice. I dropped something, I said something stupid… one click or flick of a switch and I can start over. And of course, I can get a lot better at it, because I’d have an infinite number of tries. I suppose life would also slow down considerably if everyone undid things all the time, but sacrifices have to be made. Alternatively I wouldn’t mind being the only one with access to those functions. 

Speaking of which, I just accidentally deleted an entire paragraph and can't find an Undo option. This is what I get for praising the internet.

3. Another thing I really miss is a search function. There have been occasions when I was skimming a book or some other text, looking for something, until the brilliant idea to just press Ctrl+F hit me - imagine my disappointment when I realised that real life lacks that function. 

2. We also desperately need an Escape button. No long, drawn-out conversations with someone you don't want to talk to, no awkward encounters, nothing at all that you don't want to happen or that you don't want to be involved in... "Sorry, my life crashed".

1. And of course then there’s the soundtrack. It's less useful than all the other functions, and perhaps Escape is the one we need the most, but I’d dare you to be sad for long if dramatic strings started playing the second something unfortunate happened to you.

4 comments:

a traveller said...

I love this list! And agree with each and every one of these too. :D

And it's often enough that I've paused and thought/said, if this was a TV show or movie, you can bet there would be some really cool music playing right now.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the Escape key. If I had one yesterday I could have avoided a salesgirl at the mall trying to sell me some smelly bath stuff I didn't want or need.

And the undo key. I'm afraid I would wear that one out with 9/10 of what comes out of my mouth :(

R said...

I actually try to cut+paste in real life... like if only I could move this moment to here. Or if I'm scribbling using a pen and paper - if only I could move this paragraph here. No ctrl+x for me :(

The Seeker said...

cut/copy and paste just missed out on the list. Top Six didn't have such a great ring to it.