11 Sept 2009

The best places to fish in New York

I’ve been neglecting my blog quite a bit and my excuse only covers ten weeks so it’s about time I did something about it. I really couldn’t think of anything to write about, but luckily I stumbled across (read: googled) a random blog topic generator. No cheating, I’ll blog about whatever that generator is going to suggest first.
Let’s see – today’s topic is...

...

The best places to fish in New York.

...Yeah. My specialty. I’ve never gone fishing, and I’ve never been to New York, although I do want to go to New York City someday. Ok, that’s not true, I’ve gone ‘fishing’ as a kid, but that involved a tree branch, a piece of string and whatever we used for bait. Nothing, I’m guessing. In fact, I have had so little to do with fishing and fishermen that whenever someone mentions fishing, I am instantly reminded of Stargate... Colonel O’Neill liked to fish in Minnesota, you see, and I spent a whole lot more time re-enacting Stargate with a (slightly mentally challenged) friend than I did fishing. I suspect that I wouldn’t like fishing even now – I know I’m very big on emphasizing how little I like people and I certainly don’t exaggerate, but half the time that I’m away from the internet there’s this nagging feeling at the back of my head that I might be missing SOMETHING. So sitting peacefully with my feet in the river and a little dead – what do they use for bait anyway? Do people still use worms? -- with a little dead worm dangling off my piece of string would probably not work out too well.

As for New York – see, my idea of the state of New York inexplicably involves this large, yellow, completely flat piece of land, with lots of farms and fields and nothing else. I have no idea what NY really looks like, but I have a suspicion that I’m mixing it up with the Midwest. No matter, New York seems like a rather odd place to fish to me (unlike Minnesota) because lakes simply don’t feature in my mental picture of the place. I suppose you could fish in the sea though, so this is my very educated contribution to the topic – the best place to fish in New York is the sea. That being said, I can’t imagine fishing in the sea to be a whole lot of fun. Either you take a weekend off, drive to a nice river, put up your tent somewhere in the wilderness and then waste the day holding on to your fishing rod, staring at the forest opposite and trying to locate the beer cans you put somewhere in the water a bit upstream, or you sit on a boat where your movements are very restricted and there’s nothing to see once the initial excitement of lots and lots of water and lots and lots of sky wears off. So I think I’ll refine my recommendation a little – the best place to fish in New York is where a river joins the sea. One second, let me look this up on google maps... ooh, dammit. New York’s share of the sea is tiny and half of it is occupied by NYC. ‘The best place to fish in New York is Connecticut’ doesn’t fly, does it? Alright. I suppose these lakes they’ve got over there are so big they might as well be the sea, so let’s shift our attention to Lake Ontario.

It’s official – the best place to fish in New York is at Sterling Creek. You heard it here first.

3 comments:

R said...

Well, that's very helpful and all and *scribble scribble* I've made a note and all, but what if they were speaking metaphorically?

see - there's a whole other blog topic

The Seeker said...

Why don't you go ahead and explore that possibility?

a traveller said...

I will keep this in mind if I do visit New York and feel the urge to go fishing for the first time in my life.

Thank you.