4 Oct 2008

Fixing a hole where the rain comes in

Aberdeen’s not really a very exciting place, and I don’t think a lot of people find it very appealing – In fact all the international students (and not just them) are rather disappointed with it. It doesn’t ever get really warm, people have weird accents, they lack a sense of fashion, and shops close at 5pm. But you know what I love so much about this place? It’s grey. This is without a doubt the greyest place I have ever seen in my life. The sky’s overcast a good deal of the time, the majority of streets are cobblestone, and nearly all the houses are made of granite, which gives the town a distinct ‘1960s working-class fishing-town’ vibe (if you like huge glass fronts and modern steel constructions, you may incredulously shake your head now, but I’m into this kind of stuff). And it’s so very nice when it rains.
I’ve done my fair share of cursing the weather, especially at home. Any city can pull off a sunny day – miserable grey weather, not really. If you’re sitting in Italy watching the rain fill your swimming pool to the brim it’s not beautiful or comforting, it’s annoying and a waste of money. Here, it actually tempts me to go out for a walk. I don’t fancy getting wet, but after all, there’s no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes, right? As I was walking home from the library last night, it was pouring, and my friend opted to take the bus, like pretty much everyone else. I’m skint and in a fit of madness I’ve discovered that I actually enjoy walking. Walking home from the library I’ve to cross a hill, and from the top of that hill, I can see the sea. It’s cold, not very calm, and yet another shade of grey. Looking down on that grey town and the sea in the pouring rain is very peaceful, and oddly enough, really lifts your spirits.
Of course the rain doesn’t like me as much as I like it and I’m feeling rather ill today. Guess I’ll have to go back to complaining about the weather now.

5 comments:

R said...

woooot :D

that's such a good first post! I knew you had it in you!

oh good grief you've got those stupid captchas as well. Who wants to spam YOU? nonsense things

The Seeker said...

The question should be who DOESN'T want to spam me? I got rid of them anyway, they're annoying.

And :D thank you :D :D

a traveller said...

I lowe walking in the rain.

The only thing is once you're back inside you fell all sticky.

Also, I assume I know who you are simply because of the first word of your post. :D

a traveller said...

That was *feel* all sticky.

Also, nice post! Oh and welcome to the blogosphere! :D

The Seeker said...

Thank you! And I've been trying to get hold of you since the 4th of October.