31 Oct 2008

No treats here

Alright. Happy Halloween. Am I the only one who doesn’t like this day?
It used to be fun when I was a kid, dressing up, getting sweets, the bonfires and all that. But for the past ten years or so it’s just been annoying me, but I seem to be alone on that. I was going into town yesterday, and halfway down this street which is usually quite deserted that time of the day because it’s mostly just bars and takeaways, I suddenly saw this crowd on the sidewalk. I thought something had happened and they were trying to get a good look because why else would there be so many people in one place, but it turns out they were actually queuing at a Halloween shop, out the door and down the street, in the pouring rain and freezing cold. When I got back two hours later, they were STILL queuing.
And costumes are getting boring. Okay, they’ve probably always been boring, but I just know that apart from all the witches/ghosts/pumpkins/black cats, half the people will be dressed as the Joker. That’d actually be a cool idea if it wasn’t for the thousands of other people dressed like that.
Also, kids are nowhere near as charming anymore nowadays. When I was little, we didn’t even trick people when they refused to give us sweets… sometimes, THEY even tricked US. One fine Halloween evening my friends and me were out trick-and-treating when this farmer guy didn’t only refuse to give us sweets, but proceeded to chase us down the street with a pitchfork .
Two or three years ago today however, I happened to be alone at home and, being the Halloween equivalent of Scrooge that I am, didn’t open the door when a bunch of kids rang the doorbell. I didn’t know where my mother had hidden the sweets to give away anyway so it’s not like I deprived those kids of anything. For all they knew, no one was home and it wasn’t anyone’s fault they weren’t getting sweets, but all the same, they decided to trick us. That took the form of them hurling raw eggs at the windows. Of course I immediately raced outside and I don’t think they’ve ever run as fast as they did then but I still had to clean up that mess.
Now you’re probably wondering why I’m devoting a whole entry to Halloween if I don’t like it in the first place, and you’re right, I’ve no idea. Sometimes it’s more fun to write about things that I don’t like than stuff I’m enthusiastic about.

8 comments:

R said...

aiyo... why do you try to rationalise writing an entry? takes all the fun out of it. Who is going to say 'but then why are you writing about it?' - only stupid people. Stop thinking like stupid people.

Right then... good thing I'm from a country without this stupid stuff. I couldn't do it. No one's knocking on my door tonight though.

The Seeker said...

I was looking for something to end my post with and thought that'd do. Of course now I'm rationalising it even more.
Anyway, yeah... you're lucky :-/

Anonymous said...

Fintan you should love Halloween, as it's based on Celtic rituals, and American Halloween is based on Irish immigrants bringing those ideas to the States. And it is the mother of all days to eat candy!!!

a traveller said...

Well y'know, most of our entries are usually about things we don't like. In fact, if you go through the Zig's blog and mine, you'll find very few entries about things we actually do like.

Halloween... never experienced it... probably would've been too shy to go out and get candy as a kid... now would probably find the kids cute for five minutes before I began tearing my hair out in exasperation! :)

The Seeker said...

Yeah... and of course the Zig had to go and support your theory with her latest entry. ;)


Spockgirl - I know, I know, but I dunno. Not for me. And the candy you get isn't always that great either.

Anonymous said...

True sir, and really, you should eat candy every day, not just one day of the year.

The Seeker said...

Rest assured that I do.

Anonymous said...

Then you sir are truly a spectacular lad.