11 Oct 2008

Tell me quick - who asks the questions during Question Time?

I find it quite fascinating how many foreigners living in the UK decide to become British citizens – 93% of Africans, and 87% of Indians. I did briefly contemplate the same thing when I became eligible three years ago, but only because it was an option, not because I was so keen on it. And I guess I have a little more freedom of choice anyway – Ireland is a member of the EU so I’m at no disadvantage to do with my passport. The thing about acquiring British citizenship is those citizenship tests though – if you want to apply for a British passport or want to settle here for good (unless you’re an EU national, but don’t quote me on that), you have to pass a test to prove you have sufficient knowledge of the UK. I don’t know how popular that test is in other countries – I know the US and Germany both have it, but I’m not sure about other places.
Anyway, I wouldn’t want any random stranger without the most basic grasp of English as my neighbour either, but that test is quite ridiculous. If your English isn’t that great you have to attend English and citizenship classes instead, but for everyone else, there’s no way around it. There’s a handbook to accompany the test so you can study just like for your driver’s license, and the BBC published some of the questions on their website. I got 9 out of the 14 questions wrong. Apparently I don’t know what to be British means, I don’t know where Santa Claus is from or where the myth of him originated, or what to do before engaging a solicitor (according to that test, it is more important to find out how much they charge than to ask if they’re qualified at all, and if they have a potential conflict of interest).
The test also asks you about such useful things like what to do when you spill someone’s pint in a pub, how the film classification system works and how much you have to pay to visit the Parliament. The title of this entry is a question too - I couldn't really detect much of a context. I thought they were talking about a TV show at first.
I don’t disagree with the concept of those tests as such, and I’d probably face some difficulties drawing the line between sensible and not-so-sensible questions too, but it’s not my job.
Like I said… I'm quite happy with my passport, but that doesn't really matter. I’d probably fail the test anyway since I have no idea how the process of buying a house in Scotland differs from buying a house in England.

6 comments:

R said...

I got 8 right :(

I hardly find it surprising that people want citizenship of a European country... especially th UK. like duh, who wouldn't? I'd pay for it.

R said...

Australia has that test too, by the way. I heard one of the questions was 'Who is Don Bradman?' and I knew the answer instantly of course. But the folks I'm staying with were all 'yeah but what if you're from Sudan?' - good point.

The Seeker said...

Not surprising... just interesting. I'm not patriotic by any means but I think there's still some sentimental value attached to your citizenship. But again... I guess I can afford that more than a lot of others.

R said...

yeah but what if you're a refugee? or if you're like me and just *desperately* want to get out? Besides, changing citizenship doesn't stop you from referring to yourself by your original nationality. I have family who's done it and they're still Indian. Indians with mobility *seethe*

The Seeker said...

You're right about that, and I guess it's not like a lot of people get to see my passport, but I dunno... not for me.

And sure it's different with refugees and people who desperately want to get out... again, it's why I said I can afford it, while other people may not.

a traveller said...

I got 6 right! :s

I had the option of getting dual citizenship around the time I turned 18... of Nigeria. But we never bothered finding out anything about it, so that didn't happen. Would've been useful though, since I've been known to leave my passport in the wrong place at the wrong time.